Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

Pumpkin Pie (Heather)

I love this pie. It's really hard to ruin, TRUST ME. I burnt the crap out of it on Thanksgiving and it was still Terral's favorite. I had to make it again to redeem myself. I took some(non-burnt) to my neighbor and he said it was the best pumpkin pie he'd ever had. The secret really is in the topping. You bake the crust(which is graham cracker-easy), then bake the filling, top it with whipped cream, then a cinnamon crunch. It's wonderful:
~I make the Crunch first, Preheat oven to 350
1/4 cup wheat flour
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
3 1/2 Tablespoons Butter, Cold, in small pieces
1/4 cup quick oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Combine all ingredients in food processor and blend. Bake in a Tin Foil lined oven safe dish until Crispy and Golden(about 20 min). I usually stir it once just so it cooks evenly.
~Crust:
2 cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
1 stick melted Butter(8 tbsp)
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Combine all ingredients, press and bake in pie pan @350 until Golden(mine bubbles a little, it's normal. Just don't burn it like I did).
!REDUCE OVEN TO 300. I forgot this step on Thanksgiving....It's important.
~Filling
5 Large eggs
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
1/4 tsp Ground Clove
1 cup Heavy Cream
2 tsp Vanilla
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Honey
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Whole Milk
3 Tbsp butter, melted
Bake at 300 until edges are firm, about 40 minutes. The middle will still be jiggly.
~Whipped Topping~ This is so yummy.
1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream, very cold
Vanilla to taste(I put in a cap full, approx 1/2 tablespoon)
1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
1-2 Tablespoons Bourbon whiskey(I just used one, make sure the syrup doesn't overpower it).
My grandma laughed at me because I heated it up to evaporate the alcohol. You don't need to. There's not near enough to do anything. I just did because there were kids coming...and my Mother in Law.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I have lots of frozen, home grown pumpkin in my freezer I'll have to try this with.

    ReplyDelete